I am thrilled!
I'll let you in on a little secret... I was scared to death to take on a project involving elastic.
There, I said it.
I found this tutorial and built up the courage to go for it. This was such a simple undertaking! Really, this project took just a little over an hour start to finish.
Remember my up cycled sheet to water color fabric? This is how I gave it a new life :)
I wanted a little brighter fabric to lighten up the bold print of this fabric used (and will use on more nursery projects), and to lighten the burden of the cost of the fabric.
Right now, the dresser is still in Mr. P's room, but I had to try this on for size!
I followed the tutorial pretty spot on. She only uses 2 fabrics and I used 3, so I took the whole suggested measurement and divided it by 3, knowing I wanted my water color fabric to be a bit narrower, I accommodated for that.
I did also change my seams. I think overcast edges look much more professional and I feel like they hold up better. I also ironed my seams down after sewing them. You can see what I'm talking about in the following photos:
If I decide to make another one, I'll cut off 10" squares from the corners to create the pockets as opposed to the 8" squares instructed. Maybe my changing pad is a bit deeper, but I'd be more pleased if the cover fit a tad snugger.
All-in-all this was a very fun project, very simple, and I'm thrilled that I nailed the elastic!!
Also, Mr. P tested it out and gives it two thumbs up!