Thursday, January 17, 2013

DIY Water color fabric from an old sheet

Hey Friends!

Y'all know I'm no stranger to working with old sheets!

This time I am working on some additional fabric for Baby girl's nursery decor.

If you missed it, here is my inspiration board
I wanted something fun and not perfect to go with the main fabric that I'm using (behind the lettering at the top of my inspiration board.) I don't want to spend more money than I need to and I love to get creative during nap time!!


1. I cut off about 18" worth of fabric from the bottom of my off white sheet and ironed it.

2. I used masking tape to make very uneven lines.

3. I mixed turquoise and white fabric paints to get the color I desired (that complimented my other fabric) and mixed some water in so it got runny.

4. I laid my cut sheet out down the hallway with newspaper under it.

5. I sloppily painted between the masking tape. :) Then I smacked my head because I realized that this was a project the kids could have actually helped with, but they were not here/sleeping.

6. Take your painted sheet piece off of the newspaper while it's still wet and hang over the bare shower curtain rod, or the news paper will stick to the back- which is a hug pain.

7. Let it dry, Iron it to heat set according to paint instructions, then pop it in the dryer on HOT. Your paint is now perfectly imperfect water colored fabric to stitch up to your liking! 

8. I'll wash and dry my fabric again before cutting and stitching it up into my project for baby girl's room!



If you give it a shot, let me know. You inspire me too!!


1 comment: