Sunday, February 19, 2012

How I store my flours


I have been gluten free since 2009. 
I finally learned how to mix gluten free flours and bake gluten free in 2011.

We have a teeny tiny kitchen. Seriously, the two of us and the dog can't even fit in the kitchen all at the same time. We both love to be in the kitchen and we prepare most of our meals at home, so we have a lot of kitchen devices and food. 

Most of it is now stored out in the open and we have turned it into art/decoration. 


Happy Hubby made these outstanding corner shelves for me to store my flours and baking supplies on. He made these amazing brackets (he's great at steel work and design) and the labels on our flour jars are simply from left over clear address labels from our (DIY) wedding invitations. 


Happy Hubby collects pepper mills and this little yellow number is actually a salt mill that was a Christmas gift this year. 


My vintage Pyrex measuring cup also usually sits on this shelf, but it was in use at the time of this photo!
And I got a vintage rolling pin for Christmas 2011, so now I don't have to use a wine bottle anymore to roll out my dough! ;)



Beneath my window and shelves is an old desk (free from craigslist!) that I have redone and set up as my baking station. But that is a whole other post in the making!

If you are interested in my gluten free mix you cant find it here
There is no xanthan gum added, I add it per recipe, depending on what I'm making. For the most part, it is 1/4 tsp per 1 C of flour mix.

Whether you are Gluten free or not, I hope this inspires your kitchen space one way or another!

What is something you have used in your home as art or decor that is useful in your kitchen?

big hugs, and happy baking!

Lauren D.

I linked up! 

Tuesday:




6 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren!

    Such a "sweet" blog you have here :)
    Thanks a million for linking up to the blog hop! Wishing you the very best in your bloggy endeavors! New follower :)

    Kelly
    www.livelaughrowe.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!! this looks more like decoration than a useful product! the glass looks great!!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, I love my little baking station! I'm following your blog now, I know I can learn a thing of two from your experiences as a parent! Thanks for stoping by!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for swinging by, I'm heading your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! Easy to reach and cute! I need to make some cute labels!

    Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete